The governor of New York put his state’s emergency operations center on higher alert Friday because of warnings by the federal government about a greater threat of terrorist attacks over the July Fourth holiday.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo said additional staff would be in place at the center. He also ordered state authorities to enhance monitoring of holiday celebrations.
He urged people to “not only remember the freedoms that we hold dear, but also remain cautious of their surroundings and learn to recognize and report suspicious activity.”
Federal intelligence agencies issued a bulletin to local law enforcement in May reminding them…
Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction