Magic Mike and Magic Mike XXL don’t have much in common. The 2012 Steven Soderbergh film explored the dark underbelly of a male stripping world, filled with drug overdoses, violence and corruption.
The sequel, bachelorette parties will be delighted to hear, ditches the dreary indictment of the American dream. As the posters with “Come Again” printed strategically over Channing Tatum’s crotch suggest, the movie is a sexy romp.
Both movies, however, share an important element: plenty of skin. TIME watched all 306 minutes of the two movies back-to-back to see just how the two films measure up.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement