The state trooper who shot and apprehended fugitive killer David Sweat has been hailed a “hero” by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Sgt. Jay Cook, a 21-year veteran and father-of-two, was part of the vast manhunt scouring the tough terrain of upstate New York for Sweat, one of the two convicted murderers who escaped their maximum security prison more than three weeks ago.
Speaking at a press conference after Sweat’s capture, Governor Cuomo said he “had the chance to speak with Sgt. Cook and congratulate him on his great police work.”
The governor said the officer should go home to …
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating