Jack Evans, 85, and George Harris, 82, waited over half a century for this moment.
The men, together for 54 years, were the first same-sex couple to wed today in Dallas County.
Their nuptials came just hours after the Supreme Court’s landmark decision enabling gay couples to marry in all 50 states.
Evans tells PEOPLE of his wedding day: “You would have been blown away by the crowd there, there must have been 450 people there, people waiting to get married, reporters. It was amazing. Just amazing.”
Read the rest of the story at People.com
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement