Jack Evans, 85, and George Harris, 82, waited over half a century for this moment.
The men, together for 54 years, were the first same-sex couple to wed today in Dallas County.
Their nuptials came just hours after the Supreme Court’s landmark decision enabling gay couples to marry in all 50 states.
Evans tells PEOPLE of his wedding day: “You would have been blown away by the crowd there, there must have been 450 people there, people waiting to get married, reporters. It was amazing. Just amazing.”
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy