Rose McGowan didn’t appreciate a recent audition request asking that she wear a revealing outfit— “form fitting tank that shows off cleavage (push-up bras encouraged).” She took her disgust public,tweeted the news, revealed that the audition was for an Adam Sandler movie, and reiterated and clarified her complaint to EW.
Wednesday night, McGowan tweeted that she had been fired by her “wussy acting agent” due to her comments.
“I’m not trying to vilify Adam Sander,” the actress told EW in her recent interview. “I was offended by the stupidity more than anything. I was offended by the fact that went through so many people’s hands and nobody red flagged it. This is normal to so many people. It was probably even a girl that had to type it up. It’s institutionally okay.”
In that same interview to promote her directorial debut Dawn, which premiered earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival, McGowan spoke openly about her experience as a woman in the industry. She revealed that “when I did my first film, I was told by my agent that I would need to have long hair so men in this town would want to f— me and hire me. That was said to a 17 year old.”
McGowan’s reps did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment. Listen to McGowan talk about the tweets in an interview with EW Live on SiriusXM ch. 105 below.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow