The aftershock from Donald Trump’s presidential announcement, during which he again voiced controversial views on immigration, continued to reverberate Thursday.
Trump said during his announcement that the U.S. “has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems.” He then specifically mentioned Mexico, claiming drugs, crime and rapists are crossing the border into America.
Univision didn’t take that lightly. On Thursday, the company announced it would no longer be involved with the Miss Universe Organization, just two weeks before the Miss USA pageant was set to air. Trump, a part-owner of Miss Universe, which runs the Miss USA competition, seemed to confirm the split on Twitter:
Once known as the Spanish International Network, Univision is hailed as the first television network in the U.S. to broadcast primarily in a language other than English, and continues to broadcast almost exclusively in Spanish. It released this statement regarding the split:
Trump later issued this statement:
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time