In 1979, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated Streep for her supporting role in The Deer Hunter. Nearly four decades later, she continues to astound audiences with the range and vitality of her performances. This year Streep earned her 19th Oscar nomination, a seemingly unbeatable record, for playing the witch in Into the Woods.
Feature films released
Film auditions that did not result in a role
Hours spent practicing violin for her role in the 1999 film Music of the Heart
Pounds gained for the role of Julia Child in the 2009 film Julie & Julia
Years married to husband Don Gummer
Total U.S. ticket sales for Kramer vs. Kramer, Streep’s top-grossing movie, adjusted for inflation
Minutes onscreen in Kramer vs. Kramer, the first film that landed Streep an Oscar
Years between Music of the Heart and Adaptation, the longest hiatus in Streep’s career
Outfits worn in The Devil Wears Prada
This appears in the July 06, 2015 issue of TIME.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow