Correction appended, Oct. 9
Emma Watson is about to become a tech wizard.
Variety reports the actress is set to star opposite Tom Hanks in the film adaptation of Dave Eggers’ New York Times bestseller The Circle.
The novel follows a young woman named Mae (Watson) who lands a job at a massive tech company called The Circle (think: the power of Google, the influence of Facebook and the machinations of Hooli). It takes a dark turn when Mae meets a mysterious older man (Hanks) and begins to reckon with the deterioration of privacy in a world full of surveillance technology and linked with social media networks.
Eggers is best known for his memoir, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) will adapt the novel.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated when Dave Eggers published The Circle.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up