Correction appended, Oct. 9
Emma Watson is about to become a tech wizard.
Variety reports the actress is set to star opposite Tom Hanks in the film adaptation of Dave Eggers’ New York Times bestseller The Circle.
The novel follows a young woman named Mae (Watson) who lands a job at a massive tech company called The Circle (think: the power of Google, the influence of Facebook and the machinations of Hooli). It takes a dark turn when Mae meets a mysterious older man (Hanks) and begins to reckon with the deterioration of privacy in a world full of surveillance technology and linked with social media networks.
Eggers is best known for his memoir, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) will adapt the novel.
Read next: Her vs. The Circle: The Dangers of Trying to Remain Plugged In
Correction: The original version of this story misstated when Dave Eggers published The Circle.
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases