Correction appended, Oct. 9
Emma Watson is about to become a tech wizard.
Variety reports the actress is set to star opposite Tom Hanks in the film adaptation of Dave Eggers’ New York Times bestseller The Circle.
The novel follows a young woman named Mae (Watson) who lands a job at a massive tech company called The Circle (think: the power of Google, the influence of Facebook and the machinations of Hooli). It takes a dark turn when Mae meets a mysterious older man (Hanks) and begins to reckon with the deterioration of privacy in a world full of surveillance technology and linked with social media networks.
Eggers is best known for his memoir, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) will adapt the novel.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated when Dave Eggers published The Circle.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliana Dockterman at firstname.lastname@example.org