Correction appended, Oct. 9
Emma Watson is about to become a tech wizard.
Variety reports the actress is set to star opposite Tom Hanks in the film adaptation of Dave Eggers’ New York Times bestseller The Circle.
The novel follows a young woman named Mae (Watson) who lands a job at a massive tech company called The Circle (think: the power of Google, the influence of Facebook and the machinations of Hooli). It takes a dark turn when Mae meets a mysterious older man (Hanks) and begins to reckon with the deterioration of privacy in a world full of surveillance technology and linked with social media networks.
Eggers is best known for his memoir, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) will adapt the novel.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated when Dave Eggers published The Circle.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve