For the luxury consignment marketplace The RealReal, fake designer bags are a big deal. To weed out the counterfeits from the authentic goods, they employ a “team of luxury experts,” led by Graham Wetzbartger, the Director of Authentication.
In the above video from Fortune.com, Wetzbartger examines two similar totes, both allegedly Hermes, and explains what their team looks for during the authentication process. Watch to learn a few crucial tips for telling the leather from the pleather. This may not be an everyday skill, but it doesn’t hurt to be fully equipped for whatever bag situations could come your way.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve