Fox has officially named the Independence Day sequel Independence Day Resurgence and released the first photos from the set.
Jeff Goldblum, Liam Hemsworth and Vivica A. Fox have all been cast in the sequel to the 1996 blockbuster, though star Will Smith will not return. It is set to be released in 2016, nearly 20 years after the original broke box office records for the biggest opening of all time. (The Lost World: Jurassic Park broke that record one year later, extra incentive for Independence Day Resurgence to try to steal Jurassic World‘s new box office milestone.)
The first image is of a “Moon Tug,” a forklift Liam Hemsworth’s character operates on the moon.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time