David Brent is coming to America. Open Road Films has acquired the U.S. distribution rights to Life on the Road, a mockumentary based on Ricky Gervais’ awesomely obnoxious Office character. In the new film, a documentary crew follows the former regional manager of Wernham-Hogg paper as he pursues his dreams of being a rockstar during a self-financed tour with his band, Foregone Conclusion.
“David Brent getting a big U.S. theatrical release? He can die happy now. (Spoiler alert—he does not die in this movie),” Gervais joked in a press release.
“Ricky Gervais is a comic genius and we can’t wait to see where he takes this beloved character,” Open Road CEO Tom Ortenberg said in a statement.
The film will open Aug. 19, 2016 in the U.K., with a U.S. debut to follow.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time