President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will travel to South Carolina for the funeral of Rev. Clementa Pinckney on Friday, a White House official confirmed to TIME. President Obama will deliver the eulogy.
The services for Rev. Pinckney, one of the nine victims of last week’s massacre at Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, will be held this Friday, according to the Post and Courier. Pickeney served as the senior pastor at the church, affectionately called “Mother Emanuel,” and was a Democratic state senator.
Further details of the president’s travel will be released at a later time, but a White House official tells TIME First Lady Michelle Obama will also attend the services.
The Post and Courier first reported the news of the president’s travel.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms