President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will travel to South Carolina for the funeral of Rev. Clementa Pinckney on Friday, a White House official confirmed to TIME. President Obama will deliver the eulogy.
The services for Rev. Pinckney, one of the nine victims of last week’s massacre at Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, will be held this Friday, according to the Post and Courier. Pickeney served as the senior pastor at the church, affectionately called “Mother Emanuel,” and was a Democratic state senator.
Further details of the president’s travel will be released at a later time, but a White House official tells TIME First Lady Michelle Obama will also attend the services.
The Post and Courier first reported the news of the president’s travel.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time