President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will travel to South Carolina for the funeral of Rev. Clementa Pinckney on Friday, a White House official confirmed to TIME. President Obama will deliver the eulogy.
The services for Rev. Pinckney, one of the nine victims of last week’s massacre at Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, will be held this Friday, according to the Post and Courier. Pickeney served as the senior pastor at the church, affectionately called “Mother Emanuel,” and was a Democratic state senator.
Further details of the president’s travel will be released at a later time, but a White House official tells TIME First Lady Michelle Obama will also attend the services.
The Post and Courier first reported the news of the president’s travel.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022