A Spanish village with a name that translates to “Camp Kill Jews” has finally officially changed its name to Castrillo Mota de Judios, or “Jews’ Hill Camp.”
Residents of Castrillo Matajudios first voted to change the name last year, with 29 of the village’s 57 inhabitants voting in favor of the change. The name change has now been approved by the regional government of Castilla y Leon, the Associated Press reports.
The town’s former name, which dates back to 1627, was especially puzzling due to the fact that the town was founded by Jews fleeing from pogroms in 1035. Today, the town has no Jewish residents, despite its official shield containing the Star of David.
Spain has a checkered history of treatment towards Jewish residents, including a 1492 edict that ordered Jews to convert to Catholicism or leave the country. In early June, Spain’s lower house of parliament approved a law paving a pathway to citizenship for descendants of Jews who were forced to leave the country during the inquisition.
According to the AP, researchers believe the village actually got its name from Jewish residents who wanted to bolster the believability of their conversion.