The U.S. Marshals Service added escaped convicts David Sweat and Richard Matt to its list of 15 most wanted fugitives this week, offering a $50,000 reward to anyone who has information that might lead to their arrest.
Sweat and Matt escaped from from Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, N.Y., triggering a sweeping manhunt across the area.
“There is no question David Sweat and Richard Matt fall into this category,” U.S. Marshals Service Director Stacia Hylton said in a public statement. “While their brazen prison escape has left the public on edge, it has only ignited our sheer determination to bring them back to justice.”
Sweat was sentenced to life in prison for the 2002 killing of a sheriff’s deputy, while Matt was serving a 25-year term for lethally beating and dismembering a man in 1997.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time