Julie Baker, a widowed mother of four, found a note from a neighbor in her Baltimore yard that derided her decorating choices as “relentlessly gay.”
But rather than consent to the neighbor’s request that she remove a set of rainbow jar solar lights spelling out “Love” and “Ohana,” Baker went to crowdfunding website GoFundMe in an effort to add even more color to her yard.
In just two days, she has received $34,000 in donations, far exceeding the $5,000 she had requested. On her GoFundMe page, Baker had a simple declaration: “Needless to say… I need more rainbows… Many, many more rainbows….”
Though Baker did not post the neighbor’s note on the GoFundMe page, a friend uploaded an image of it to Facebook:
It’s not yet clear whether the donations from more than 2,000 people will be enough for Baker to invest in the rainbow roof she pledged to investigate.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State