Julie Baker, a widowed mother of four, found a note from a neighbor in her Baltimore yard that derided her decorating choices as “relentlessly gay.”
But rather than consent to the neighbor’s request that she remove a set of rainbow jar solar lights spelling out “Love” and “Ohana,” Baker went to crowdfunding website GoFundMe in an effort to add even more color to her yard.
In just two days, she has received $34,000 in donations, far exceeding the $5,000 she had requested. On her GoFundMe page, Baker had a simple declaration: “Needless to say… I need more rainbows… Many, many more rainbows….”
Though Baker did not post the neighbor’s note on the GoFundMe page, a friend uploaded an image of it to Facebook:
It’s not yet clear whether the donations from more than 2,000 people will be enough for Baker to invest in the rainbow roof she pledged to investigate.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate