But in recent weeks, the couple weren’t spotted together at all. According to sources, they stayed under separate roofs: Theron and son Jackson remained at their Hollywood home and Penn at his Malibu mansion, which he had put up for sale but recently pulled off the market. They backed out of at least one scheduled event together before Theron headed to London to film The Huntsman.
Reps for the stars haven’t commented on the split.
When not promoting her film Mad Max, Theron, 39, and Penn, 54, spent time away from the spotlight, enjoying family time with Jackson on the French Riviera.
Penn was spotted solo in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles Tuesday, purchasing magazines and cigarettes from a local newsstand.
“Putting aside that he’s my partner, he’s the love of my life; for the first time, I felt that my work was really bleeding into my life, and that made it hard,” she told the magazine.
Rumors of a romance first began in 2010 but the duo were first photographed spending the New Year together in Hawaii.
—With reporting by Pernilla Cedenheim
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time