Fashion Police is returning to E! in August, despite Kathy Griffin and Kelly Osbourne’s exits from the show. And Joan Rivers’ daughter, Melissa Rivers, is set to co-host the series that once starred her late mother.
Variety reports the show will take on a new format in which two celebrity guests will join Giuliana Rancic, Brad Goreski and Rivers each episode, the first of which will air Aug. 31 with coverage of the MTV Video Music Awards.
Though the show is designed to make fun of celebrity’s clothing and styling, many fans thought it went too far last year when Rancic said that Disney actress Zendaya’s dreadlocked hairstyle “smells like patchouli oil” or “weed.” Critics, including Zendaya herself, called the comments racially insensitive, and Rancic subsequently apologized.
“There is plenty to make fun of in pop culture without bringing people’s bodies into it,” she wrote. “I do not want to use my comedy to contribute to a culture of unattainable perfectionism and intolerance towards difference.”
Fashion Police went on hiatus after Griffin’s departure, and the future of the show was in question. Melissa Rivers has acted as a producer on the program since its inception and is responsible for creating E!’s red carpet coverage with her mother.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time