One of two young shark attack victims to lose an arm in separate encounters in North Carolina over the weekend said he “didn’t see it coming.”
In comments released by 16-year-old Hunter Treschl’s family via New Hanover Regional Medical Center, the teen said he felt the shark bite his leg, “and then I saw that it had attacked my arm because it was out of the water a little bit.”
Treschl and a 12-year-old girl both lost their left arms to shark bites in separate incidents about two miles apart in Oak Island, North Carolina, on Sunday.
The attacks also…
Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement