A few days ago, Zoe Saldana said her husband, Italian artist Marco Perego, had taken her last name — and that news apparently caused a bit of a stir. Jimmy Kimmel brought this up Thursday night when the actress stopped by his show — and she quickly shut down his sexist questions.
“He took your last name – did you make him do that?” Kimmel asked.
“No! Oh my God!” Saldana responded. “Why does it mean that a woman has to hold a gun, like, ‘You’re gonna be Saldana!'”
The actress also clarified that she and her husband actually took each other’s names. She became Zoe Saldana-Perego and he became Marco Perego-Saldana. And a few days ago, Saldana wrote a lengthy Facebook post, urging us all to let go “of some of the limitations we have inherited from the past, and forge a new path moving forward.”
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future