Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert is scheduled to appear in federal court on Tuesday, where he will face charges of lying to FBI investigators about hush money payments to an unidentified associate in order to silence allegations of sexual misconduct.
Hastert has not appeared in public since he was indicted by a federal grand jury two weeks early, USA Today reports. He will appear in court on Tuesday for a brief arraignment proceeding, where he is scheduled to enter a plea before he is expected to be released.
Hastert has hired Thomas Green, a lawyer from the Austin-based firm, Sidley Austin, which at one point employed president Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, NBC News reports.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time