Hakim Semeebwr, also known as Bad Black, is a transgender woman in a country where sex between two men, or two women, is illegal. Coming out usually leads to eviction, job discrimination and violent harrassment. Bad Black lost her television job when she was outed by a local newspaper.
And if some Ugandan politicians have their way, coming out as homosexual could mean life in prison, or worse.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.