There are no shortage of actors and comedians who’ve been inspired by the talents of Steve Martin, and many of them lined up to pay him tribute at his AFI Life Achievement Award ceremony.
From Martin Short to Tina Fey, Hollywood’s best and brightest zinged the star of The Jerk and Father of the Bride on Thursday night at L.A.’s Dolby Theatre.
Steve Carrell: “I have spent the majority of my life doing a pale imitation of Steve Martin, and I resent him for this.”
Amy Poehler: “We’ve had some fun and had a lot of laughs, but now it’s time to remember why we’re here – to raise money for FIFA.”
Tina Fey: “Steve donates all his old white suits to lesbian commitment ceremonies.”
Martin Short: “People sometimes ask me how do you duplicate Steve Martin’s longevity in show business, and my advice for them is try to look 70 when you’re in your thirties.”
Steve Martin himself, to SNL producer Lorne Michaels: “Lorne is really responsible for my being here tonight—Lorne, thank you for driving.”
The show will air June 13 on TBS.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears