There are no shortage of actors and comedians who’ve been inspired by the talents of Steve Martin, and many of them lined up to pay him tribute at his AFI Life Achievement Award ceremony.
From Martin Short to Tina Fey, Hollywood’s best and brightest zinged the star of The Jerk and Father of the Bride on Thursday night at L.A.’s Dolby Theatre.
Steve Carrell: “I have spent the majority of my life doing a pale imitation of Steve Martin, and I resent him for this.”
Amy Poehler: “We’ve had some fun and had a lot of laughs, but now it’s time to remember why we’re here – to raise money for FIFA.”
Tina Fey: “Steve donates all his old white suits to lesbian commitment ceremonies.”
Martin Short: “People sometimes ask me how do you duplicate Steve Martin’s longevity in show business, and my advice for them is try to look 70 when you’re in your thirties.”
Steve Martin himself, to SNL producer Lorne Michaels: “Lorne is really responsible for my being here tonight—Lorne, thank you for driving.”
The show will air June 13 on TBS.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating