Last Week Tonight host John Oliver, who has been an unabashed critic of international soccer body FIFA, reveled in the resignation of President Sepp Blatter Tuesday:
Oliver had earlier sworn to drink Bud Light Lime if Blatter resigned. Last Week Tonight’s official Twitter account also sent out a celebratory tweet, with requisite gif:
The comedian took on FIFA’s corrupt practices multiple times on his show, most recently last Sunday after the United States Department of Justice leveled a 47-count indictment against nine of the international soccer organization’s officials (though not Blatter) for crimes that include corruption and money-laundering.
He noted on the show that the most surprising part of the arrest was that the United States was the country to blow the whistle. That’s like “finding out that Ke$ha arrested a group of bankers involved in commodities fraud,” Oliver joked.
Despite being re-elected president of FIFA last week, Sepp Blatter announced Tuesday he will step down.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space