Last Week Tonight host John Oliver, who has been an unabashed critic of international soccer body FIFA, reveled in the resignation of President Sepp Blatter Tuesday:
Oliver had earlier sworn to drink Bud Light Lime if Blatter resigned. Last Week Tonight’s official Twitter account also sent out a celebratory tweet, with requisite gif:
The comedian took on FIFA’s corrupt practices multiple times on his show, most recently last Sunday after the United States Department of Justice leveled a 47-count indictment against nine of the international soccer organization’s officials (though not Blatter) for crimes that include corruption and money-laundering.
He noted on the show that the most surprising part of the arrest was that the United States was the country to blow the whistle. That’s like “finding out that Ke$ha arrested a group of bankers involved in commodities fraud,” Oliver joked.
Despite being re-elected president of FIFA last week, Sepp Blatter announced Tuesday he will step down.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate