Tracy Morgan opened up about the fatal car wreck that almost took his life Monday, in an emotional interview with TODAY’s Matt Lauer. “I can’t believe I’m here,” he said.
The 30 Rock actor told Lauer he couldn’t recall the June 2014 accident, when a limousine Morgan and friends were traveling in was rear-ended by a Walmart truck on a New Jersey highway. The accident left Morgan with severe brain trauma, a broken leg and broken ribs, and killed his friend, comedian James McNair.
“Bones heal, but the loss of my friend will never heal,” Morgan told Lauer.
Last week, Morgan settled with Walmart in a lawsuit over the crash for an unspecified amount. A criminal complaint alleges that the truck driver, Kevin Roper, had not slept for more than 24 hours and was speeding at the time of the accident. Morgan’s attorney, Benedict P. Morelli, told Lauer that Walmart took “full responsibility” for the accident.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement