San Andreas earned more than $53 million to take the top spot at the box office during its opening weekend, marking the largest ever opening for Dwayne Johnson outside the Fast & Furious franchise.
Despite poor critical reception, Johnson’s disaster movie easily beat second-place finisher Pitch Perfect 2, which earned $14.8 million in its third weekend in theaters, according to estimates from box office tracker Rentrak.
Tomorrowland ($13.8 million), Mad Max: Fury Road ($13.6 million) and Avengers: Age Of Ultron ($10.9 million) rounded out the top five. Aloha, which has an all star cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams, opened in sixth place with only $10 million in earnings.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy