San Andreas earned more than $53 million to take the top spot at the box office during its opening weekend, marking the largest ever opening for Dwayne Johnson outside the Fast & Furious franchise.
Despite poor critical reception, Johnson’s disaster movie easily beat second-place finisher Pitch Perfect 2, which earned $14.8 million in its third weekend in theaters, according to estimates from box office tracker Rentrak.
Tomorrowland ($13.8 million), Mad Max: Fury Road ($13.6 million) and Avengers: Age Of Ultron ($10.9 million) rounded out the top five. Aloha, which has an all star cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams, opened in sixth place with only $10 million in earnings.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate