
None of the eight women who remained in the Army Ranger training program passed the requirements, Army officials said Friday, but three will have an opportunity to restart the program.
The women were admitted to the two-month program at Fort Benning, Ga., which has previously been open only to men, as part of an effort by the military to determine how to integrate women into ground combat roles. General Ray Odierno, the Army’s chief of staff, described the trial program as a “success” and said the Army would likely repeat it, according to the Army Times.
The program is tough for men and women alike, and the majority of soldiers who enter training typically do not pass. “We’ve set standards for Ranger School for a very long time,” Odierno told the Times. “I’m adamant about maintaining that.”
More Must-Reads from TIME
- Introducing the 2024 TIME100 Next
- Sabrina Carpenter Has Waited Her Whole Life for This
- What Lies Ahead for the Middle East
- Why It's So Hard to Quit Vaping
- Jeremy Strong on Taking a Risk With a New Film About Trump
- Our Guide to Voting in the 2024 Election
- The 10 Races That Will Determine Control of the Senate
- Column: How My Shame Became My Strength
Write to Justin Worland at justin.worland@time.com