FIFA president Sepp Blatter was elected to a fifth term Friday despite a sprawling criminal investigation of the soccer federation currently underway in the U.S. that has already led to the arrest of more than a dozen FIFA executives.
Blatter, who has not been accused of wrongdoing, was heavily favored to win re-election even after the arrests were made Wednesday. However, many in the soccer community expressed dismay that the man who led FIFA during the period under scrutiny could still be elected so easily.
Here’s a sampling of how people reacted to the news on Twitter
U.S. soccer president Sunil Gulati, who voted against Blatter:
ESPN reporter Darren Rovell:
Former English soccer star Gary Lineker:
New York Times columnist Juliet Macur:
Former English soccer star Stan Collymore:
Sports Illustrated soccer writer Grant Wahl:
American singer Josh Groban:
Sports journalist Jim Rome:
SportsCenter anchor Max Bretos:
Soccer journalist Richard Buxton:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org