Kate McKinnon is perhaps the Saturday Night Live castmember tasked with the show’s biggest job in the next year: playing presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. While speaking on The Hollywood Reporter‘s Comedy Actress Roundtable, McKinnon shared her secret on creating her Hillary.
“I wanted to play on the inherent contrast between a woman who is so driven and so hardened by her experiences and needs this, and also a little sweetie granny from the Midwest, just the juxtaposition of those two things,” said McKinnon.
McKinnon also recounted a stand-up routine that went so terribly that she wound up drinking at Hooters.
The actress joined Lena Dunham (Girls), Amy Schumer (Inside Amy Schumer), Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish), Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin) and Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) for the roundtable, where some the year’s hottest television actresses discussed weighty topics such as racism and sexism in Hollywood while remaining unfiltered, frank and funny.
The full Comedy Actress Emmy Roundtable can be seen on Close Up With The Hollywood Reporter when it premieres Sunday, Aug. 16, at 11 a.m. ET/PT on Sundance TV and HollywoodReporter.com.
Check back Friday to watch interviews with Amy Schumer and Tracee Ellis Ross.
More from The Hollywood Reporter:
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up