It didn’t take long for the Westboro Baptist Church to taunt J.K. Rowling on Twitter for her awesome response to Ireland legalizing same sex marriage. But the Harry Potter author fired back in kind.
After Ireland legalized same sex marriage by popular vote, Rowling tweeted a meme suggesting that if Dumbledore, beloved Hogwarts headmaster, and Gandalf, Lord of the Rings wizard, were gay together, they could now get married in that country.
The extremist Westboro Baptist Church tweeted at the author, saying they would picket the fictional wedding. That’s when Rowling shot them down:
Rowling was criticized by some fans for drawing more attention to the group by publicly engaging with them. But she had a response for them as well:
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future