It didn’t take long for the Westboro Baptist Church to taunt J.K. Rowling on Twitter for her awesome response to Ireland legalizing same sex marriage. But the Harry Potter author fired back in kind.
After Ireland legalized same sex marriage by popular vote, Rowling tweeted a meme suggesting that if Dumbledore, beloved Hogwarts headmaster, and Gandalf, Lord of the Rings wizard, were gay together, they could now get married in that country.
The extremist Westboro Baptist Church tweeted at the author, saying they would picket the fictional wedding. That’s when Rowling shot them down:
Rowling was criticized by some fans for drawing more attention to the group by publicly engaging with them. But she had a response for them as well:
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now