Disclosure’s new single “Holding On” was nearly a piano ballad. But countless club-going danceaholics will surely be thankful that Howard and Guy Lawrence, the brothers that make up Disclosure, changed course along the way. What they’ve churned out instead is a soulful, thumping dance track that leans heavily on the smooth vocals of Grammy-winning jazz singer Gregory Porter.
It’s a sophisticated romp with ‘90s-throwback vibes and a welcome thwarting of tradition by Porter, who can usually be heard lending his voice to more genre-adhering jazz numbers.
Disclosure plans to release its sophomore album, a follow-up to its 2013 debut Settle, this year. The duo has collaborated with big names in the past, from Sam Smith to Mary J. Blige; “Holding On” appears to be the first of a new crop of songs featuring talented guests.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating