Disclosure’s new single “Holding On” was nearly a piano ballad. But countless club-going danceaholics will surely be thankful that Howard and Guy Lawrence, the brothers that make up Disclosure, changed course along the way. What they’ve churned out instead is a soulful, thumping dance track that leans heavily on the smooth vocals of Grammy-winning jazz singer Gregory Porter.
It’s a sophisticated romp with ‘90s-throwback vibes and a welcome thwarting of tradition by Porter, who can usually be heard lending his voice to more genre-adhering jazz numbers.
Disclosure plans to release its sophomore album, a follow-up to its 2013 debut Settle, this year. The duo has collaborated with big names in the past, from Sam Smith to Mary J. Blige; “Holding On” appears to be the first of a new crop of songs featuring talented guests.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time