Headey, 41, wrote a guest post for Plan International USA on May 20, asking for donations to the Because I Am a Girl Safe Future project, which aims to support young women in Egypt and give them the same rights and privileges of people in more developed nations.
“I am having a baby girl in six weeks. You have all been so lovely in your message to me, and I thank you for that,” she said.
“My daughter will have freedom of choice. She will be free to dance, to sing, to be educated in the fields that spark her passion, to marry if she wants, to marry WHO she wants, to remain single, or to fall in love with another woman. She’ll be able to wear what she wants, put on lipstick, and read books that spark debate and expand her mind.”
“She will be loved, protected, respected, and celebrated,” the actress continued. “All these things that should be, and will be, basic human rights, are a promise to my daughter. My humble request is that you give what you can and maybe — just maybe — we can bring about the change we all wish to see.”
Headey, who plays the manipulative Queen Cersei who will do anything to protect her children on the HBO drama, announced her pregnancy in February. She is already mom to son Wylie, 5, with ex-husband Peter Loughran, a musician.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive