As Josh Duggar’s admittance of “wrongdoing” continues to make headlines in the wake of sexual molestation allegations, a video has resurfaced showing the 19 Kids and Counting star making what appears to be a joke about siblings dating.
The clip, from 2008 when the TLC show was called 17 Kids and Counting, shows Josh explaining why he needed to find someone to double-date with him and then-fiancée Anna. (The Duggars follow strict religious rules about courting, which includes no kissing or un-chaperoned dates until marriage.)
After finding out that his sister, Jinger Duggar, couldn’t chaperone him and Anna on a movie date, Josh explains that he decided to go out with his siblings, Jana and John David Duggar, on what he refers to as a “double date.”
“So, we chose Jana and John David – we thought why not, have a double date,” Josh, now 27, said. The camera then cuts and the eldest Duggar son jokes, “We are from Arkansas!”
While Josh’s joke was made about Jana and John David dating, his comments are raising eyebrows now that the video has re-surfaced online.
On Thursday, Josh, his now-wife Anna, and Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar responded to allegations that Josh had sexually molested five young girls when he was a teenager.
“I hurt others, including my family and close friends,” Josh said in an exclusive statement to PEOPLE. “I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life.”
Josh also resigned from his job at the Family Research Council and TLC has pulled 19 Kids and Counting off its schedule. However, the network has not officially canceled the series.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up