A Georgia couple that typically enjoys a “low key” anniversary had a high-profile celebration last week.
Jim Russell surprised his wife, Elinor, on their 57th anniversary on May 20 by showing up to her hospital room wearing a tuxedo and carrying flowers and chocolate, ABC reported last week. The story had first gone viral after their granddaughter shared photos of the special moment on Twitter, eventually amassing over 60,000 favorites:
The tuxedo Jim wore was the same one that he’d warm to go ballroom dancing with Elinor, whom he has “known since she was in pigtails.” Afterwards, they watched their two favorite shows — Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy — while dining in the hospital room.
“Being in a hospital bed, you get bored, ” said Elinor. “So when they came in, it made me smile, like the younger days when we were dancing.”
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future