A die-hard New England Patriots fan used her obituary to speak out in support of Tom Brady, the suspended NFL quarterback tangled up in the Deflategate controversy.
“She would also like us to set the record straight for her: Brady is innocent!!” the family of Patricia M. Shong, 72, wrote in the Massachusetts woman’s obituary, published Thursday in the Worcester Telegram & Gazette.
“That’s who my mother was,” said Shong’s daughter, Tracy Plante. “She was a big Patriots fan and it was something that defined her. She was very much a homebody and she always watched the Patriots on television.”
“It’s sad when someone dies, but we wanted everyone to remember our mother with a smile on their face,” Plante added. “We knew everyone would get a kick out of it. My mother certainly went out with a bang, I guess, because a lot of people are going to remember her for this.”
Read next: Why the Tom Brady Suspension Is Ridiculous
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up