When the students of the University of Pennsylvania law school sat down to hear their commencement speech from Cass Sunstein, they probably didn’t think they were in for a dissertation on Star Wars.
“Graduates, faculty, family, friends—our topic today is Star Wars,” the legal scholar and former Obama Administration regulatory official opened his May 17 speech. “It’s not the most usual topic I know, but it’s not completely random. The Class of 2015 has the astounding good fortune of graduating in the very year of Star Wars‘ rebirth.”
And from there he was off, drawing thematic lessons from the movies that he said hold lessons for both graduates and their families.
But his closing line was the best: “The Force is strong with you all. May your ships make the kessel run in much less than 12 parsecs. Congratulations to the Jedi Knights of 2015!”
Watch the full speech below.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time