Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee supported Josh Duggar on Friday in the wake of reports that the reality TV star had molested five children when he was a teenager.
The former Arkansas governor wrote on Facebook that members of the Duggar family have his support, and that “today’s blood-thirsty media does not understand… that being a minor means that one’s judgement is not mature.” He stressed Duggar’s young age at the time of the incidents and that “the victims wanted this to be left in the past.”
“No one needs to defend Josh’s actions as a teenager,” Huckabee wrote, “but the fact that he confessed his sins to those he harmed, sought help, and has gone forward to live a responsible and circumspect life as an adult is testament to his family’s authenticity and humility.”
Duggar said in a statement after the news broke that he “acted inexcusably.”
MORE Who Are the Duggars?
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears