A cover of the June 2015 issue of Elle Australia, which is only available to subscribers, is going viral because it shows model Nicole Trunfio breastfeeding her son Zion Rain Clark. The issue also features a story about Trunfio and new motherhood, as the 29-year-old and fiancé Gary Clark, Jr., welcomed Zion to the world four months ago.
“This wasn’t a contrived situation: Zion needed a feed, Nicole gave it to him, and when we saw how beautiful they looked we simply moved her onto the set,” Elle‘s editor-in-chief Justine Cullen said on the magazine’s website.
Supportive comments started trending on social media via hashtags #normalizebreastfeeding and #weareonlyhuman:
Others, however, think it was cowardly of Elle Australia to only make the cover available to subscribers. An example of the outraged comments on Elle Australia‘s Facebook page:
Trunfio wrote on Facebook that she is proud of the photo, taken by photographer Georges Antoni, hailing it as a “positive and healthy” statement:
It is the latest magazine cover of a breastfeeding mom to go viral, from Brad Pitt’s photo of Angelina Jolie breastfeeding for the Nov. 2008 W magazine cover to a May 2012 TIME cover “Are You Mom Enough” showing a mother breastfeeding her 3-year-old son, photographed by Martin Schoeller.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer