In 2013, Drake appeared on “Mine,” a ballad on Beyoncé’s self-titled album. Now Bey has returned the favor by appearing on “Can I,” a track rumored to appear on Drake’s forthcoming album Views From the 6. The song is minimalist to the point that it’s quite possibly unfinished—moody and brooding and in anything but a hurry.
Beyoncé fans hoping to hear the diva busting out her singing chops won’t find them here. Her contribution is limited to a few spoken words repeating throughout the track: “Can I, baby? Can I, baby?” It’s unclear exactly what she’s asking permission to do, but the few verses Drake raps touch on the tension in a relationship when one person opens up and the other remains closed off.
Listen to the track here.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future