In 2013, Drake appeared on “Mine,” a ballad on Beyoncé’s self-titled album. Now Bey has returned the favor by appearing on “Can I,” a track rumored to appear on Drake’s forthcoming album Views From the 6. The song is minimalist to the point that it’s quite possibly unfinished—moody and brooding and in anything but a hurry.
Beyoncé fans hoping to hear the diva busting out her singing chops won’t find them here. Her contribution is limited to a few spoken words repeating throughout the track: “Can I, baby? Can I, baby?” It’s unclear exactly what she’s asking permission to do, but the few verses Drake raps touch on the tension in a relationship when one person opens up and the other remains closed off.
Listen to the track here.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk