David Letterman’s band staged an extra warm welcome for his last Late Show entrance on Wednesday.
The legendary host entered the stage of his show for the final time to a thunderous chorus of notes. After running from one side of the stage to the other, Letterman delayed his entrance to the stage for an anticipation-building 15 seconds and was greeted by a seemingly endless note held by his band.
Forty-three seconds, to be exact, an amount of time that will push even the most capacious musical lungs to the limit.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms