A man from Texas has hunted and killed an endangered black rhino in Namibia after bidding $350,000 in an auction to win a hunting permit.
Since the auction last year, Corey Knowlton has faced intense criticism and even death threats from animal-rights advocates, but he said the hunt is an essential part of conservation work for saving black-rhino populations in Namibia.
The 36-year-old hunter from Dallas told CNN the rhinoceros he hunted was an older bull that was considered a threat to the herd, as it was harming younger males.
But opponents, including several animal-welfare groups, disagree with killing any endangered animal.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time