Under Armour is removing its “Band of Ballers” shirt, which was inspired by the image of U.S. soldiers raising an American flag on Iwo Jima during World War II, following a wave of criticism.
The shirt, made by Under Armour, depicted athletes raising a basket ball hoop in a similar fashion. The backlash against the company for the portrayal was swift.
Under Armour responded in a series of tweets over the weekend:
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time