Queens-born rapper Chinx, real name Lionel Pickens, died Sunday from eight or more gunshots fired in close-range while he was sitting in his vehicle on Queens Boulevard with his friend Antar Alziadi, 27.
After the shooting, Pickens, 31, parked in front of a Dunkin’ Donuts while the assailant’s car drove away. Alziadi survived his wounds but Pickens died later at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, the New York Times reports.
Police have yet to arrest anyone for involvement in the shooting.
In Pickens’ home neighborhood of Far Rockaway, Queens, the atmosphere turned mournful as residents paid tribute to the fallen artist.
“The only way out of Far Rockaway is either death or jail,” one resident told the Times.
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer
- What to Know About the Monkeypox Drug TPOXX—And Why It's So Hard to Get
- The Year's Final Supermoon Reminds Us Why We Love the Night Sky
- A Hotter World Means More Disease Outbreaks in Our Future
- How The Sandman Author Neil Gaiman Drew Inspiration From His Nightmares
- Candace Parker Is a Force in Basketball and Beyond
- Dropbox Tossed Out the Workplace Rulebook. Here’s How That’s Working