Queens-born rapper Chinx, real name Lionel Pickens, died Sunday from eight or more gunshots fired in close-range while he was sitting in his vehicle on Queens Boulevard with his friend Antar Alziadi, 27.
After the shooting, Pickens, 31, parked in front of a Dunkin’ Donuts while the assailant’s car drove away. Alziadi survived his wounds but Pickens died later at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, the New York Times reports.
Police have yet to arrest anyone for involvement in the shooting.
In Pickens’ home neighborhood of Far Rockaway, Queens, the atmosphere turned mournful as residents paid tribute to the fallen artist.
“The only way out of Far Rockaway is either death or jail,” one resident told the Times.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement