He might be muted, but his message still carries across.
Kanye West performed new song “All Day” and 2013 song “Black Skinhead” at the Billboard Music Awards, in a performance quite literally muted by several significant cuts away on audio, as the artist danced in silhouette in front of pyrotechnic effects. This didn’t seem to mute audience enthusiasm; West is, even when performing a two-year-old single to close an awards ceremony putatively about new music, the biggest star in the room.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement