Sam Smith won the Billboard Music Award for top male artist Sunday night, but the four-time Grammy winner was unable to accept it in person. Smith was in New York City recovering from vocal surgery after vocal cord hemorrhaging forced him to cancel his Australian tour.
But the British crooner still made time to accept the award remotely—using cue cards that allowed him to rest his recovering voice. Though Smith will be forced to keep quiet for several weeks, his speech was no less heartfelt, thanking his fans and sending some special messages to friends like Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Nicki Minaj.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror