Musical comedy Pitch Perfect 2 earned more than $70 million to take the top spot at the box office this weekend, handily beating Mad Max: Fury Road.
Estimates released by box office tracker Rentrak show the Elizabeth Banks-directed sequel has already eclipsed the entire $65 million box office run of the original film in 2012. Mad Max: Fury Road, the first movie in the franchise in 30 years, performed as analysts expected and marked the best opening ever for director George Miller, Deadline reports, bringing in $44.4 million.
Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Hot Pursuit and Furious 7 earned $38.8 million, $5.8 million and $3.6 million, respectively, to round out the top five.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out