Musical comedy Pitch Perfect 2 earned more than $70 million to take the top spot at the box office this weekend, handily beating Mad Max: Fury Road.
Estimates released by box office tracker Rentrak show the Elizabeth Banks-directed sequel has already eclipsed the entire $65 million box office run of the original film in 2012. Mad Max: Fury Road, the first movie in the franchise in 30 years, performed as analysts expected and marked the best opening ever for director George Miller, Deadline reports, bringing in $44.4 million.
Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Hot Pursuit and Furious 7 earned $38.8 million, $5.8 million and $3.6 million, respectively, to round out the top five.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement