Musical comedy Pitch Perfect 2 earned more than $70 million to take the top spot at the box office this weekend, handily beating Mad Max: Fury Road.
Estimates released by box office tracker Rentrak show the Elizabeth Banks-directed sequel has already eclipsed the entire $65 million box office run of the original film in 2012. Mad Max: Fury Road, the first movie in the franchise in 30 years, performed as analysts expected and marked the best opening ever for director George Miller, Deadline reports, bringing in $44.4 million.
Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Hot Pursuit and Furious 7 earned $38.8 million, $5.8 million and $3.6 million, respectively, to round out the top five.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time