Cate Blanchett denied having past off-screen relationships with women on Sunday, at the Cannes premiere of her film about a lesbian affair, a comment that comes days after she was reported to have said that she had “many” of them.
Blanchett sought to clarify remarks she made in a Variety interview that ran last week, The Guardian reports. “From memory, the conversation ran: ‘Have you had relationships with women?’ And I said: ‘Yes, many times. Do you mean have I had sexual relationships with women? Then the answer is no.’ But that obviously didn’t make it.”
The star, who plays a woman involved in a lesbian relationship in Carol, said her comments were taken out of context and used the occasion to call for worldwide progress on gay issues.
“In 2015, the point should be: who cares?” Blanchett said. “What often happens these days is if your are homosexual you have to talk about it constantly, the only thing, before your work. We’re living in a deeply conservative time.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time