Actor Tom Hardy says he’s lucky to be alive.
The Mad Max: Fury Road star admitted in a recent interview with Essentials magazine that his drug problem during his 20s had gotten so bad that he would have given up a family member for some. “I would have sold my mom for a rock of crack,” Hardy said. “I am fu-king lucky to be here.”
The 37-year-old actor said he was a “shameful suburban statistic,” struggling with alcohol and drugs before sobering up in 2003. “I was told very clearly, ‘you go down that road, Tom, you won’t come back. That’s it. All you need to know.'”
Hardy, who played Bane in the The Dark Knight Rises, plays Max Rockatansky in the Mad Max flick that hits theaters on Friday.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far