1. When local systems failed them, survivors in Nepal lifehacked earthquake aid.
By Abe Streep in Wired
2. Can the same brain drain that’s crippling health care in Africa be used to save it?
By Serufusa Sekidde in Project Syndicate
3. Find out how female Marines are getting the job done.
By Hope Hodge Seck in the Marine Corps Times
4. Learning to use a drill is good. Learning to run the plant is better.
By Sophie Quinton in National Journal
5. We might be able to starve cancer cells to death.
By Sandia National Laboratories
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction