During last night’s semi-final round of Dancing with the Stars (read the recap here), competitor Noah Galloway decided to use the spotlight to drop to one knee and ask his girlfriend, Jamie Boyd, to marry him. Very cute (and for the cynical among us, very voter savvy). Now, some fans are saying that host Erin Andrews rolled her eyes during the romantic moment—and they aren’t very happy about it.
The moment came just as Galloway finished a Viennese waltz with his pro partner Sharna Burgess and had ascended to Andrews’ aerie in the sky to await the judges’ scores. The producers had conscripted Boyd to come to the skybox and provide moral support for her veteran boyfriend, who has performed remarkably well for any contestant, let alone someone who has just one arm and one leg. Galloway’s seemingly surprise proposal left judges Carrie Ann Inaba and Julianne Hough crying daintily, but Andrews, who is tasked with making sure the live show runs on time, looked nonplussed.
Us Weekly claims that Andrews was eager to wrap up the proposal, saying she looked “more than annoyed” and later “was caught on camera rolling her eyes while touching her ear piece.” Some fans agree, taking to Twitter to call Andrews “rude” and “so freaking awkward” and more.
To ward off the claims that she is the enemy of love, Andrews has mounted a defense of “ugly cry face.” She replied to US Weekly’s comments with a tweet that read, “uhhhhh it’s called an oh great I’m going to bawl on camera..ugly cry face alert.” She later tweeted a picture of the moment and apologized, again, for her face.
Our take on it? Andrews looked touched by the proposal, but is also a professional woman just trying to get her job done with a clock ticking and producers yelling into her earpiece. Watch a clip of the proposal here:
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement