The fat lady is preparing to sing for American Idol.
Fox announced Monday the show would end after its next, 15th season, with the current judges roster of Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick, Jr., as well as host Ryan Seacrest, staying on for one last round.
The show, once a behemoth in American entertainment and a cultural touchstone, no longer occupies the same position in the television firmament. Its ratings have dropped and it is watched by 10.7 million viewers on Wednesday nights, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
American Idol has served as something of a drive-thru restaurant for executive producers, judges and celebrities, including Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, Paula Abdul and Ellen DeGeneres, who have joined the show for several high-profile seasons at a time before leaving. And the show boosted many of its early contestants to stardom, including Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Chris Daughtry and Carrie Underwood.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time